Tuesday, August 07, 2012

A New, Previously Attempted (but failed), Experiment

(I have a lot of pictures of the top of Sam's head. Apparently, it's very uncool to have your mom take your picture.)
Sam turned twelve over the summer- 12! He continues to impress Jeff and I with his deep thinking and the way he mentors the younger kids. He's not perfect, by any means, but when he is disrespectful or lashes out, he almost always recognizes it and apologizes.

We have decided to to try our hand at homeschooling again- with Sam only. He is entering seventh grade and, pretty much everyone I know had horrible seventh grade experiences. We are not trying to shelter him. In fact, I hope that by homeschooling we will be able to expose him to experiences that will open his eyes to this hurting world. I hope we will be able to inspire him to think outside of his sweet little middle school self and that he will recognize his need and the world's need for Jesus.

I am excited and scared and cautiously optimistic. My prayer journal is filled with words like, "Lord, have mercy." "Lord, give me wisdom." "Lord, have patience."

2012 has been filled with a lot of changes for our family. For a while now, Jeff and I have felt strongly there would be more changes. I can not write about them yet (just to torture you), but I can assure you that I am not pregnant and we are all healthy (except for Jeff who recently dislocated his shoulder and is seeing an orthopedist soon.)

For those of you who read this and are the prayer type, I do want you to know that we covet your prayers right now. Thank you for caring about our family. There are days when everything seems to be going awry but I read a sweet comment and it somehow makes everything all better. (This is not a subtle guilt trip to get you to write a sweet comment. Well, maybe it is. Subconsciously. Although, I guess now it's conscience. Oh dearest. I'm a quack,)

3 Comments:

Blogger Brandi said...

Sweet comment.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin you're perfect, I think that we were destined to meet in this lifetime, and I think Sam is going to thrive in everything no matter what (with the occasional trial-and-error lessons now and then), happy birthday Sam!

-Jackie

5:55 PM  
Blogger erinlo said...

Brandi- I love you even when you are a smart aleck. I can't tell you the number of times I have thought to myself or told someone else, "I can not believe that Brandi is my friend!!"

Jackie- thank you so much for that encouragement. Since your parents did such a great job raising two brilliant daughters, it means a lot coming from you!!

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home