Sunday, November 04, 2012

An Update

Wow. I've not been so great at keeping this blog updated! Things have been busy, as most households with five people, a dog, and two lizards tend to be. Blogging is always in the back of my mind but I, obviously, rarely sit down and actually do it.

On a recent hike......love these three. Is Silas crossing his eyes? It just wouldn't be right if we got a normal pic with all three smiling normally.

Don't even ask. One day, this picture will come back to haunt them. I promise.

There is so much I wish I could write about right now. There are still changes in the works for our family, but we don't know yet what they will look like. We have been in a holding pattern for quite some time now and Jeff and I have grown weary of it. We have learned, however, to be proud of how far we've come. Thirteen years ago at the start of our marriage, there is no way we would have handled things as well as we are now. We have learned to not take things out on each other and to support the other when it's starting to get to them. We're certainly not perfect and often find ourselves asking the other for forgiveness. But, thanks be to God that we have come this far!

Why, yes, thank you for asking. Selah WAS Rapunzel this year. Doesn't her hair look so natural? (Thanks to Grandma for always making such amazing costumes for our kids!)

The kids are all well. Our little Selah is quite the star student. She has her first man teacher this year and adores him. Just this weekend, she wrote a four page story in perfect handwriting just for fun. She can often be found at the kitchen table or in her art room creating something out of sequins, feathers, buttons, and colors. I wish I was as creative and itched to create things like she does. But, I just don't seem to have that gift!

I adore this picture of two of my favorite boys!

Silas still melts our heart with his huge eyes and sweet disposition. He is kind and sensitive and a good friend to many. He is totally into archery and I love watching this boy in his talent. He began lessons over a year ago and is really quite gifted. He was very excited to learn there is an archery category in the olympics!

Sam and his super funky- cool new glasses. He looks more and more grown up to me.

I am having so much fun homeschooling Sam. Sam would not tell you that homeschooling is great- it's not really 'cool' to be homeschooled in the seventh grade. But, Jeff and I see him growing and maturing in so many ways and it's really neat to get to witness that first hand. He is a leader amongst the younger kids at our church, who all adore Sam. He has regular babysitting jobs in the neighborhood now, as he's become known as quite a responsible kid!

I got a haircut and I wish you could see in this pic- I got a purple streak in it! (That was my mid-life crisis thingie....I think.)

I have been diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome. Before you ask, no, I don't randomly yell out obscenities, but I suppose I now have an excuse in case I DO. Some of you who know me know I have struggled with face and neck tics for years. For some reason (possible because of stress) they became really bad this year. I went to several doctors and was given a few different prescriptions which did not work and had severe side effects. I am now on a gluten-free (mostly Paleo) diet again, taking large amounts of fish oil and probiotics, and eating very little sugar. Physically, I feel great. The tics continue, but are a bit more manageable and I am hopeful they will subside even more as I continue to eat well and exercise regularly.

Jeff and his first motorcycle. He MIGHT have almost crashed his first time out of the garage.

Jeff bought a motorcycle and got his license to drive it. I am so happy and excited for him, as this is something he has talked about for years. I haven't ridden with him yet, but will once he's more experienced and comfortable with it. He looks pretty hot riding that thing and I can hardly wait to ride with him! I might even get my license, who knows.......

So, there you have it. A long, boring update. If you read to the end.....bless you. Thanks for caring about and loving our family. We are so blessed by the many dear friends we've made over the years.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you really favor your Mom in that picture of your new haircut and color.

-Aggiema (Michelle)

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh!!! I love these updates! Tourette's eh? Well, yelling obscenities with a proper excuse seems like fun, but I know that people with Tourette's really do suffer from it, so I'm glad your case is relatively mild!

Wow Selah, nice costume :-) And cool glasses, Sam. *Clearly* he had a very good babysitting teacher ;) I wish I could still babysit, I haven't done it even once since I got back to Toronto. Woohoo, three cheers for studenthood!

Erin, purple is the peak of cool. Take it from me. :)

Love you all.

-Jackie

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Chelsey said...

Praying for you guys!
Thanks for this blog post :)

Love you!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Love you, Erin! You look great!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Erin. But this was not boring, and it also was not LONG enough! :) Love you!
Sue

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home